One CSA box, one family of four, and a whole lot of possibilities.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Purple pride

There are only two out of eight items left from this week's farm share: kale and purple sweet potatoes.

The kale was easy. (Did I just say that?) The humidity from last week broke, so I made sausage, white bean and kale soup. The kale stays nice and shapely in the soup and loses some of its overwhelming kale-ness, thereby winning over the haters. It's not so much a recipe as it is a guideline. Brown some Italian sausage, throw in chopped onion and garlic, add cleaned chopped kale and broth, toss in canned drained and rinsed white beans. Simmer. Sprinkle with grated cheese and eat.

The potatoes took some thinking. I hate purple. It was my high school color and I can't look at it without thinking of my 7th grade gym uniform. Think polyester double knit track shorts in bright purple trimmed in white. Ugh. I wanted to do something different than the usual but ended up with oven fries. So I peeled the potatoes and cut them in fry shape, tossed them with a little canola oil, some kosher salt and some curry powder, and roasted them in the oven for about 40 minutes until they became delicious french fry like objects which I served with burgers from the grill.

P.S. I still hate purple.

No comments:

Post a Comment