One CSA box, one family of four, and a whole lot of possibilities.

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Berry good


Sorry I forgot to post an image yesterday of my Week One haul.

Day 1: The biggest problem was finding a place in the fridge for all of my voluminous green leafy, curly minions. Did I jam them in the crisper, which was already filled with sadish supermarket celery and boring carrots, or leave them on shelves where I would see them many times a day and be reminded of my promise to use up EVERYTHING I received in my weekly share. I opted for the latter -- except for the purple potatoes, which I left in the fruit bowl since I have a bad habit of ignoring potatoes left in the pantry.

The strawberries looked the most fragile and delicious so last night I started with those. I filled a glass salad bowl with organic baby greens, tossed in some killer feta (salty! creamy!) and topped it all with the strawberries and a handful of sliced almonds. It was 100 degrees here yesterday and too hot to cook. Plus we were having chicken flatbread sandwiches for dinner and it seemed to go. I didn't actually get to eat any of the salad last night because I was the taxi to soccer tryouts. I do know that my son, looking at the salad bowl asked his dad, "Are we allowed to eat that or does Mom have to take a picture of it first?"

Smart boy.

I forgot to take the picture.

We put the five leftover strawberries in a dish with the California strawberries from earlier in the week. My 8-year-old ran a taste test this morning. It was no contest which one was the winner. "These taste like something," she said after she took a bite of the local berries.

I had to agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment