One CSA box, one family of four, and a whole lot of possibilities.

Monday, June 13, 2011

Chardtacular


I like Swiss Chard. But others in our house aren't crazy about it.

So when I saw the two bunches of chard in our CSA box this week, I wasn't sure what to do. Knowing that the leafy green would be making frequent appearances in the weeks ahead, I wanted to try something other than my ususal garlic, pine nuts and raisin treatment.

When I found a recipe on my CSA's site for En - chard-ladas, I knew I had to make it. Basically what you do is make a cheese sauce and use it as a binder for the chard. Then you roll the mix up in corn tortillas, douse with salsa and bake.

I decided to use the web recipe as a guide and instead make a bigger recipe of cheese sauce from my fav Mac and cheese recipe from Mark Bitman's "How to Cook Everything" instead. http://www.howtocookeverything.tv/recipe.php%3Fnid=27.html

The bonus? Extra cheese sauce, which I used to make a small dish of mac and cheese. When the pasta was cooking I threw the CSA broccoli into the water and made it a one dish meal. Yum.

This is the One Straw Farm recipe:
Enchiladas with Greens
1 bunch greens- chard, collards, kale or a mixture of the greens.
2T. oil
2 cloves garlic
2 T. butter
1 T. flour
1/2 c milk
1/2 c cheese- cheddar
corn tortillas
Sauté greens in garlic and oil.
Make a cheese sauce with milk, cheese, flour and butter. Mix cheese sauce into greens. Place the mixture into a tortilla, roll and place onto a greased baking dish. Cover with salsa and bake @ 375 for 20 min.

No comments:

Post a Comment