One CSA box, one family of four, and a whole lot of possibilities.

Monday, June 13, 2011

caesar salad


Caesar salad isn't easy, it isn't low fat, low calorie, or particularly swanky. But when it's made well, it's delicious.

And when I saw the leafy green head of romaine lettuce in the CSA box this week, I thought of Caesar. Caesar Cardini, that is, the restaurateur that invented this salad in 1924 when a rush of business on July 4 depleted the kitchen of his San Diego restaurant and he had to improvise.

I like anchovies and homemade croutons. I hate oily fatty dressing and I didn't want to use raw egg. So I reached into the Eating Well Recipe Rescue Cookbook and pulled out a favorite recipe that uses a dressing made from roasted garlic and a little bit of chicken broth, vinegar and oil and whirred in a food processor.


No comments:

Post a Comment